Let The Live Blogging Begin!

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Oh, the questions that surround the National Football League playoffs as we head into the second round!

Will Peyton Manning finally break his own personal curse and lead his team to victory over a clearly superior opponent? Will Bill Belichick figure out a way to stop LaDainian Tomlinson without allowing Philip Rivers to take over the game? Can a team led by Jeff Garcia at quarterback possibly overcome an opponent whose entire 2006 season played out like a big "I'm sorry" from God? Did Rex Grossman actually spend the last two weeks preparing to play a football game or did he just say, "The hell with it - I'm going drinking with Orton," and leave the outcome purely to chance?

Hello everyone, my name is Brian, the creator of and sole writer for the award-winning sports blog One More Dying Quail. (Note: I have not actually won any awards. That was a lie. Sorry. The rest is true, though.) This is my third live-blog appearance for Awful Announcing, who responded to my request to do both Saturday NFL games this week by referring to me as "psychotic". I'll be here for the next several hours, guiding you through the Colts-Ravens and Eagles-Saints tilts that the NFL has been kind enough to provide for us this afternoon, and attempting to answer questions 1 and 3 from above. (For the record, my pre-game answers are "not likely" and "not unless Satan won the 'Run Heaven For A Day' contest and decides to screw New Orleans again", in that order.)

The next two hours are "laundry time" in the OMDQ household, but the computer is on and I expect to be within typing distance at all times, so let's just go ahead and declare this thread to be open. Feel free to stop in with thoughts on the pregame buildup, your predictions for any of the four games this weekend, or anything else you might need to get off your chest. The official live-blog first quarter thread will begin around 4:30.

(2:31 note - the NHL on NBC? When did this happen? And since when does hockey look good on television? I'm not even a hockey fan, and the fact that the Bruins are playing might have something to do with it, but this has been on my television, uninterrupted, for the last five minutes. Just thought I'd point that out.)

4:02 - Someone refresh my memory: wasn't Leslie Visser hot at one point in time?

4:32 - My wife on her first glimpse of Ray Lewis and his entrance dance: "What the hell is wrong with him?" She then launched into a five minute soliloquy on Greg Gumbel's fatness. Should be a fun night!

Posted by One More Dying Quail at 1:43 PM

18 Comments:

Hope your hands don't fall off after two games. I'm heading to Philly and hoping for some post victory celebrations at the bars tonight. Good luck with the live-blog.

Marco said...
Jan 13, 2007, 3:00:00 PM  

You might be interested to find out that for NHL purposes Little Rock is in the Pittsburgh-Philly region of the country.

That makes a lot of sense.

Almost as much as the NFL deciding a few years ago that Little Rock was in the Denver region. Because, K.C, Houston and Nashville are SOOOOO far away I guess.

Actually, now that I think about it, you probably aren't interested in that.

Jay said...
Jan 13, 2007, 3:09:00 PM  

marco - if it gets too tough for me, I will see strength through prayer to the Patron Saint of Sports Bloggers, The Mighty MJD. THAT guy writes a lot.

jay - that is disturbing information that may or may not be a sign of the impending apocalypse. Thanks for letting us know. And congrats on your blogiversary.

Jan 13, 2007, 3:23:00 PM  

And if if another analyst compares the Colts/Ravens game as the "Unstoppable Object meets the Immovable Force", I'm going to vomit

Marco said...
Jan 13, 2007, 4:01:00 PM  

pretty good game on ESPN... KU and Iowa st. coming down to the wire

WCT said...
Jan 13, 2007, 4:02:00 PM  

The Wrath of Sasha Kaun

T.J. said...
Jan 13, 2007, 4:05:00 PM  

KAUUUUUUN!

KAUUUUUUN!

Good call on Kansas-Iowa State. Should be a most enjoyable way to spend the next couple minutes.

Jan 13, 2007, 4:08:00 PM  

ooooooovertime... Nice! we need to kill time till 4:30!

WCT said...
Jan 13, 2007, 4:11:00 PM  

I only have a second, but good luck B. I've got to go find some chowdaheads to rough up.

Jan 13, 2007, 4:11:00 PM  

I'm not sure whom to hate more for this first game -- Peyton and the team that bailed on Balmurr (that package SportsCenter ran last night stoked the emotions) or the Ravens for being just as vicious, stealing the Cleveland Browsn, and having Ray Ray go around like he's "God's Linebacker."

Can anyone help?

Signal to Noise said...
Jan 13, 2007, 4:16:00 PM  

Lesley Visser used to be foxy, but I sense a facial re-modeling took place somewhere along the line.

I'm just happy to have hockey on a national network again. I miss it. I know I'm in the minority.

Signal to Noise said...
Jan 13, 2007, 4:19:00 PM  

STN, I'm a Patriots fan, so disliking Peyton Manning is frighteningly easy.

On the other hand, I also don't like athletes like Lewis and Curtis Enis who find God and immediately decide they're better than everyone else.

If it makes sense, I want Baltimore to win, but Manning to play well. And it confuses me greatly to say that.

Jan 13, 2007, 4:24:00 PM  

"Brandon Rush with the length and the size...look at him poke it from behind."

I'm sure it's incredibly difficult to broadcast a game, but shouldn't announcers have SOME clue as to what is coming out of their mouths?

Jan 13, 2007, 4:27:00 PM  

maybe one of you could answer this question but this always bugs me when I watch an NFL game:

why is it when teams in the NFL win the toss they ALWAYS RECEIVE?? Wouldn't you always want the ball in the second half?

WCT said...
Jan 13, 2007, 4:37:00 PM  

wasting - I don't get it either. I think if your defense is the shit (like Balmurr's), you'd want to defer. If you're Indy, you want the ball first.

Signal to Noise said...
Jan 13, 2007, 4:39:00 PM  

I got an idea.

How 'bout if they talk a whole lot about how the Colts used to play in Baltimore until they snuck out of town in the middle of the night.

But, let's competely ignore that this Baltimore team used to be in Cleveland and Art Modell REALLY screwed Cleveland when he left.

Jay said...
Jan 13, 2007, 4:44:00 PM  

Jay - it's because Cleveland got the team and its records back. Everyone forgets the four years without the Browns since they got them back. Whereas you can't give B'more the Colts' name back.

Still, I agree.

Signal to Noise said...
Jan 13, 2007, 4:47:00 PM  

There truly are so many great matchups this year, you gotta love it!






Sports Betting Guide - Use This Secret Technique To Cover 90% Of Your Wagers!

Anonymous said...
Jan 13, 2007, 8:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment