Of K-Balls and Whatnot

Thursday, January 11, 2007

I don't know about you, but I have a pretty immature sense of humor (must be why I hate British people). If you didn't already know......the 'Boys are apparently blaming Romo's botched hold on the NFL's special kicker ball, or K-Balls. While it appears that this could be the case (I noted at the time that the ball looked "brand new") it's all a little after the fact. Why hasn't anyone said anything before now?

Well, all this K-Ball talk cracks me up because no one says the K....they just say balls. So here's a collection of lovely quotes from the NFL's finest.....

"The Balls are not good balls for performing football duties — catching, holding, kicking, punting."- New Orleans Saints kicker John Carney

"The balls, it’s like they’re coming in a Brinks truck. It’s the darndest thing you’ve ever seen. And they’re guarded. Now the kickers complained, but statistically nothing changed too much. We evaluate that. At least we knew it wasn’t going to be filled with helium."- Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren

"These balls are handled by special ball boys and are kept separated from the regular game balls, even though they are the same."- Former NFL Ref Jerry Markbreit

"The balls the quarterbacks use, they'll take them down, they'll rub them, they'll break them in, and use them throughout the week to have them not be so new."- Giants Kicker Jay Feely

"The reason this was put in place was to prevent teams from doctoring balls for kicking," League Spokesman Greg Aiello

"The balls are very, very slick. They have a lot of wax on them because they are brand new. You don't get to work them in very much, and you see a lot of that happening."- Eagles Kicker David Akers

......and my personal favorite.....

"They're slicker than the plastic balls my kids play with."- Eagles Long Snapper Mike Bartrum

Oh god....I slay me sometimes. Good times....good times. Just the imagery of balls being shipped in by Brinks trucks made my day.

***Update***- From Wasting Company Time

On "Inside the NFL" on HBO they are discussing the cowboys-seahawks game and of course they mentioned the dropped hold on the FG attempt. Then they started talking about the K-balls, someone mentioned rubbing the balls, and they all completely lost it.

Someone send me that video! I need more laughs!!!

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 10:31 AM

8 Comments:

Can we get a quote from Jeff Garcia on all this ball handling? I've heard he might be an expert on the subject.

Jay said...
Jan 11, 2007, 11:52:00 AM  

arnold palmers wife used to kiss his balls for good luck

Jan 11, 2007, 1:25:00 PM  

Do you have any quote where "the 'Boys" defend Romo by blaming the K-Ball? Cause I don't think anyone in the Cowboys organization used the K-Ball as an excuse.

SAMO said...
Jan 11, 2007, 3:18:00 PM  

Inside the NFL re-airs tonight at 8pm on HBO. I have neither the techology nor the savvy to record the clip onto my computer, but im sure some of the good folks who frequent this blog do. Its in the first 5-7 mins of the show...

WCT said...
Jan 11, 2007, 3:47:00 PM  

Mini....

COWBOYS NOTES
Cowboys claim a slick football contributed to Romo's blunderBy MAC ENGEL
Star-Telegram Staff Writer
IRVING - They didn't want to blame the ball, or the Seahawks, but the Cowboys were not pleased with the football that was used for the attempt at a potential game-winning field goal Saturday night in Seattle.

Cowboys owner-general manager Jerry Jones contends -- and he wasn't the only one -- that the ball quarterback Tony Romo lost control of on the hold for a 19-yard field goal was brand new and wasn't worked in properly.

Jan 11, 2007, 3:59:00 PM  

Man I cringed when Garcia refered to their tight ends in his post game interview last week.

Unknown said...
Jan 11, 2007, 4:33:00 PM  

I totally sympathize on the immaturity front. I mean, when I wrote a blog about the Wichita State Shockers, was I supposed to ACT LIKE there isn't a hand gesture by the same name? And then all these uppity Wichitans come around looking down their noses at me.

I didn't make the thing up.

By the way, I once got my balls signed by George Brett.

Eric (Extra P.) said...
Jan 11, 2007, 9:01:00 PM  

If the K-balls were a huge problem, then I think that would've been a more mainstream issue if it was really bad.

Anonymous said...
Jan 13, 2007, 3:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment