Peyton Manning vs. Tony Kornheiser

Monday, October 22, 2007


I used to hate Peyton Manning so much, but the ads started rolling in and he went on SNL and suddenly you could tell he actually had a personality and he wasn't such a douchebag (kinda like his brother). Well Peyton has been known to stick up for his brother a lot actually (see Tiki Barber) and when asked about Eli's Monday Night performance he had this to say....

"I enjoyed watching (Eli) play on Monday night because I got a chance to see him play live on TV, and being able to watch the game in mute,'' Peyton said. "Because it's an easier way to watch the game than hear some of those broadcasters."
Zing! So what did Tony Kornheiser have to say when asked about the comments? Well of course he made it all about him.....
"Yeah, it's probably me," Kornheiser said by phone Saturday, moments before walking into production meetings with Manning and the rest of the Colts. "I'm sure it was the heads-on-sticks segment I did before the game. You think that upset him? Really? I thought it was very funny. I think most people thought it was hysterical. That wasn't me saying those funny, mean things about Peyton. That was Eli. That's the whole idea behind heads-on-sticks. I was just saying what Eli wanted to say. Like, 'What a raving egomaniac; he sent me a DVD of his 'Saturday Night Live' appearance.' It was the perfect marriage of ("Pardon The Interruption," the show on which Kornheiser does the bit) and 'Monday Night Football.' "C'mon, that was funny. Wasn't it?"
Enh not really Tony, and I'll give you that Peyton is being a bit over-sensitive if that's what his issue is, but you know its not. It's because he can't stand you on the program just like over 95% of the country.

Obviously the writer at the Indy Star who came up with the story is in the lower 5%....
Some of us love what Kornheiser brings to the broadcast -- humor, a subversive streak and a very sharp stick, which he uses to poke Ron Jaworski. I am a longtime admirer of Kornheiser's writing and radio/TV work, and he has always been enormously nice to me. I understand, though, why complete strangers come up to me and tell me they can't stand that Kornblatt guy on "MNF." Mr. Tony is an acquired taste. My mother-in-law once told me she couldn't stand "Seinfeld.'' Hey, it's a free country.
You're comparing Seinfeld to Tony Kornheiser.....ummm. Riiiiiiight. I'll pass on you Mr. Kravitz for now, but you've got to be kidding me right? Right??? If you're kidding that would be hilarious, but alas....I don't think you are. Anyway, good sound bite, but if you're going to defend Kornheiser you have to come up with something better than quote from your Mother-in-Law. I'm sure she's a sweet lady.

Here's a key matchup: QB vs. 'MNF' (Indy Star)

(Thanks to Anon for sending the article, and when did Tony start hanging out with Vampires. Is that Reali in that photo above?)

Update: Jerry Seinfeld is actually on Letterman next Monday with another guest in the news.....Joe Torre! How about that?! Our day of posts comes full circle. Makes me want to cry actually.

8 Comments:

Seinfeld and Torre arent on tonight, maybe next week?

Anonymous said...
Oct 22, 2007, 5:40:00 PM  

Dammit you're right...I suck with dates lately. Next Monday.

Oct 22, 2007, 5:42:00 PM  

Kravitz was also a long-time guest on the TK show, going back to the ESPN days.

odessasteps said...
Oct 22, 2007, 5:47:00 PM  

Pretty much everyone from Indy knows not to read Kravitz's "columns." They're epic garbage his constant trashing of local teams and players proves him to be the worst kind of sportswriter imaginable -- a Jay Mariotti wannabe.

Kravitz doesn't even come up to the standards of Mariotti's inane drivel. The only reason I even bother to mention Kravitz's name is so you know not to take him seriously in any context imaginable. Trust me -- he's not worth your time. There's far better people to excoriate here.

Anonymous said...
Oct 22, 2007, 6:22:00 PM  

That Bob Kravitz has his nose firmly between Korny's smelly buttcheeks. Wow.

Heads on sticks...what is this, fifth grade and reliving your desire to be accepted by the Cool Kids, the Jocks?

We need two actors, heads on sticks, a loud douche who couldn't care less about the football game?

I thought they ruined MNF last year (SNF), but I see now that they were only installing Phase One of the sucking the life out of the host, the NFL.

Parasites. I'm gonna be pissed if those morons talk over an entire quarter again.

Marv Albert and Boomer are good, as are Dave Sims and Trumpy.

E Buzz said...
Oct 22, 2007, 6:30:00 PM  

Kornheiser on PTI for 30 minutes a day is fine and I'll watch it daily. I can't stand him in the booth though. I don't want to be entertained by announcers. I want to be entertained by the game.

Justin Williams said...
Oct 22, 2007, 7:09:00 PM  

Is that really a picture of Reali and Tony with Julia Allison?

Anonymous said...
Oct 22, 2007, 9:08:00 PM  

What a shock! Kravitz kissing TK's ass. That schnook's been on PTI a bunch of times so this is just another example of writers protecting writers.
Loved the Mariotti wannabe reference. Schmucks like Kravitz should be smothered by leeches and rodents. Then again, he'd be right at home.....

Anonymous said...
Oct 22, 2007, 9:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment