Howard Cosell And The Pro Bowl

Monday, February 09, 2009


I love that I grew up in this era, but every once and awhile I like to think about some of the things that I missed out on. One of the things that I've pondered about on more than one occasion, what would it have been like listening to Howard Cosell call a game? I wonder if I would have fallen in with the crowd who thought he was brilliant, or the group that couldn't stand the cantankerous analyst. Well after this story by Al Michaels, during yesterday's Pro Bowl, I think I can say I would have fallen in with the brilliant folks.

Nearing the end of the game, Michaels was talking about Archie Manning (in attendance), playing in the first Pro Bowl ever, while both his sons were playing in the current one. That then led the PbPer into how he was actually on the call of that first game with Fran Tarkenton and Howard Cosell, and how the late Cosell actually felt about the first Pro Bowl.....



Hilarious. The best part about Michaels these days, is the way he portrays the visuals of some of his more memorable stories. It's also funny that the way Cosell felt about the first Pro Bowl, is the way 95% of fans STILL feel about the game. Man, would he have had some fun with that boring game yesterday. It's tough not to watch the game, because you know Football won't be on again until August, but it's always the most boring contest ever played. At least Michaels and Collinsworth tried to make it somewhat interesting.

7 Comments:

I'm not sure why anyone considers this worth watching. I know the argument is "Well, it's football and football won't be on again for six months", but why ruin your lasting image of the season by watching the worthless excuse for a competitive game?

TomahawkFlop said...
Feb 9, 2009, 9:33:00 AM  

Well, it is a cheesy game, and it will be the last game til August and the last all-star game in Hawaii for awhile, but beyond that, that extra thirst to see a NFL game is so overwhelming, besides this is the only game where rivals are actually teammates, and the only time you'll probably see drew brees or eli throw a td pass to fitzgerald ever in life! That's what make all-star games interesting to me.

Btw, Fitzgerald had the greatest stretch of performance in the last 5 wks for any receiver in a long time!

Unknown said...
Feb 9, 2009, 9:53:00 AM  

I enjoyed the Pro Bowl because I had the NFC -2.5. Yes, I am pathetic.

GMoney said...
Feb 9, 2009, 10:47:00 AM  

AA, first of all, Micheals was refering to the first Pro Bowl palyed in Hawaii not the first one ever. Second of all, I'm not surprised that Howard felt that way about working the Pro Bowl, becasue he felt that he was abouve everyone and everything.

Unknown said...
Feb 9, 2009, 11:00:00 AM  

The football was better, and the announcing was better. Buck and Stram were so good compared to anybody today.

Clothes from 1979, not so much.

E Buzz said...
Feb 9, 2009, 12:20:00 PM  

The Pro Bowl is the only NFL game that lacks meaning so screw you Division I-A college football BCS proponents who think differently. Also, AA, every now and then you can get CFL games in the summer. Perhaps Versus will broadcast some. I'm just glad Jay Cutler didn't incur a stupid victory in a meaningless exhibition.

Brad James said...
Feb 9, 2009, 1:36:00 PM  

stupid injury I mean. Sorry.

Brad James said...
Feb 9, 2009, 1:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment